Hey guys, welcome back to another episode of 30-Day Home Staging Challenge podcast! Today on the show, I’m interviewing Kirstie Dempsey, who is a stay-at-home mom and one of our #30DayHomeStaging Challenge home sellers. During the show, you will find out how the home staging process was for Kirstie, working with real estate agents and buyers’ needs, and what is the number one tip she will give to other home sellers.
Pretty BIG Announcements
Today’s our 15th episode! Today’s episode wraps up our season 1. We will be back with season 2 after Labor Day Weekend with more episodes, guests and content.
The second big announcement: As you know, we have a free 30-Day Home Staging Challenge email course that is tied into our first ten episodes of this podcast. After listening to the participants’ feedback, we decided to turn that into a paid video course with more content, resource guides and insiders’ tips.
Thanks again for supporting this show since the very beginning! We will see you soon!
JOIN THE FREE #30DAYHOMESTAGING CHALLENGE EMAIL COURSE HERE.
LISTEN & DOWNLOAD
LISTEN, REVIEW & SUBSCRIBE ON ITUNES, SOUNDCLOUD & STITCHER.
GOT Q’S OR COMMENTS? LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW OR TALK ABOUT IT IN OURPRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP.
Kirstie is a stay-at-home mom and style enthusiast. She has developed several fashion-inspired businesses and loves to use fashion as an influence while decorating her home. She and her husband recently remodeled their home and brought it from the 1950’s into the current decade while keeping the idea of staging at hand to sell their home quickly.
WHAT WE DISCUSSED ON THE SHOW TODAY
FINDING A HOME IN A MARKET WITH LIMITED INVENTORY
- Developing a relationship with a great realtor was key to finding a home in their price range
- Communication with your realtor is critical to finding the right home
- Trusting the vision her husband had for the home
- Buying a house with good bones
DECORATING & UPDATING FOR HOME FOR RESALE
- Staging for buyers who lack vision and imagination
- The challenges of decorating for a potential buyer, rather than to your own taste
- Putting yourself in the shoes of the buyer when staging
- Understanding that buyers don’t always appreciate custom touches
LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE HOME STAGING PROCESS
- The advantage of having a great real estate agent
- De-cluttering is a great place to start the staging process
- Refining her personal style
- How and when to separate personal style from necessary staging style
- Incorporating pieces that are both functional and decorative
- Choosing budget friendly materials for resale
- Pricing lesson from the real estate agent
HOME STAGING & DECORATING TIPS
- Surround yourself with things you like and enjoy
- Antique stores and flea markets are a source for affordable pieces
- Instagram and Pinterest are great resources for DIY home projects
- Investing time and effort to update and stage your home will make it stand out from other homes in the market
- Homes getting a facelift to keep up the change of times
- Removable wallpapers
- Easy decorating options for renters
- Putting yourself in buyers’ shoes
- Remodeling with the buyers in mind
- Using what you have to get the results that you want, DIY, not spending too much on the staging process
- Not going overboard with staging
REAL ESTATE IN GENERAL
- Real estate market in LA
- Real estate market in Minot, North Dakota
- Having a vision when you are buying a home
- Doing a full remodel for the home vs. homes in the market who are not updated
- Supply & demand of the real estate market
- The fear of putting the home on the market
- Personalization in remodeling can be tricky for resale
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE SHOW
- Pinterest (connect with Cindy on Pinterest here)
- Patty Hume’s episode
- Alameda Flea/Antique Market
- Kirstie’s antique living room set & fireplace
Free eBook: Home Staging Roadmap
This free ebook covers the some of the frequently asked questions by home sellers about home staging and a new exclusive blog post and checklist written just for this ebook.